Friday, May 23, 2008

GK 3


My long over due entry of my exausting yet educational climb to Gunung Kinabalu.

Before anything else, pose gagah untuk convince myself that I can do this and reach the peak of Kinabalu








The morning of the climb. Full of activities. Semua bangun, mandi and quickly assembling our stuff for the hike and puttting aside those we are leaving in the locker at the Park. Me and Carrie decided to share a porter and all our stuff were into 1 backpack. It is easier and cheaper that way. We share stuff and make no sense to bring the same things. We walked to the reception area of the park with our bags and trolley in tow. Wow!!! the hike has not even started, I felt tired and stressed already. Can’t imagine how its going to be like when we actually go up the trail…

The truth is, I was merely going through the motion. Half excited and half worried. Trying to keep in every detail. Going through the checklist in my mind over and over again. I do not want to go up half the terrain and suddenly…yikes! I left my so…and so….in the other bag and it is in the locker!!!! No tak rela….this is going to be my 1st and final quest to Kinabalu and it better be memorable and I do not want to hamper my trip just because I forgot to bring some of my stuff….NO not going to happen.

We weight our backpack and was about 17kg. RM7/kg. In total RM119. Pay when we get down the mountain tomorrow. Fine with us.

So much activities, vans, 4 x 4 vehicles, more vans to ferry the climbers to the starting point of the trail at Timpohon Gate. There were other goups that morning, amateurs, seasoned, old and young climbers, locals and foreigners. All were with one aim, to conquer the peak of Kinabalu. But before anything else, MUST take breakfast. We were advised to stuff in more carbos. We follow whatever advice given to us. Being such rookie. All advice are good advice. After breakfast, back to the meeting point, in front of the registration office of the park. We were given our name tag and wear this at all times. So we took some pictures, more of ‘before the hike’ and hopefully after comparing that with ‘after the hike’ pictures. Maybe we can maintain that enthusiasm and excitement on our faces when we descend tomorrow.

After the normal pleasantries with the guide who is also our porter, off we went into the van and the starting point is getting nearer. I was having goosebumps, big ones! Everybody was quiet in the van…most being first timers seem to have deep thoughts about the trip. As for me, trying to focus on the scenery..appreciating it and embracing the fresh air and beautiful view. Not giving much thought to the emotional turmoil that was in my mind and the ill-feeling in my tummy. No turning back and the only way is to move forward and do it!!! At the starting point, our guide, Francis briefed us a little bit about the trail to the summit. The do’s and the don’ts. Do take a lot pictures. Don’t throw stuff all over the mountain. Have respect with nature. Don’t have your breaks for more than 4 minutes. There was no need to rush as we have plenty of time to reach Laban Rata. Today we only need to reach Laban Rata where we will ascend to the peak at 2 am. Francis and his partner Doina is whom you typically call someone with ‘tulang besi urat dawai’ Small frame but full of energy and extremely fit. They were also carrying 2 backpacks each. They could easily be carrying more than 30 kg each. Mak oi, kuat nye!!!!

1 comment:

Anakmami said...

Alamak, dah masuk G3! G2 pun belum baca lagik. Amoi, sambung citer, I baca slow2 ok? :)